Player Eligibility

The following stipulate the eligibility terms for players participating in USAT national tournaments.

USA Touch Eligibility Policy

Open Divisions

Non-USA Resident Players

  1. Each team is allowed one Non-US Resident player that fulfills at least one of the following criteria as per section 4 of the Federation of International Touch (FIT) eligibility criteria (sections 4.1.1, 4.1.2 & 4.1.3):
    1. Player is a US Citizen (holds a US Passport)
    2. Player has a parent who is a US Citizen (holds a US Passport)
    3. Player has previously lived in the US for three continuous years in their lifetime and have not played for another member nation in the previous 3 years

USA Resident Players

  1. All US Residents are automatically permitted to play for their local club
    1. All US Passport and Green Card holders must provide proof they have lived in the US for 95 continuous days immediately prior to the event by submitting copies of their passport pages
      • Normal vacations during the four-month period are permitted
    2. All Non-US Passport or Green Card holders must provide a photocopy of their NonImmigrant Visa (eligible Visa’s listed below) that was obtained at least 95 days prior to the event
    3. All US Resident players must play for their local club, if a local club exists
      • A player will be deemed to be within the area of a local club if it takes one hour or less to travel to training
      • If a player is not within the area of a local club, they may play for any club of their choosing


Any exemptions for the above must be requested from USAT, to be determined by the president and a committee of internal coaches and leaders.


  1. The ‘grandfathered in’ rule that was used in 2016 does not apply in future years. All players must adhere to the new rules above.
  2. Non-Immigrant visa holders are required by law to remain in the US, except for normal vacations, hence why their passport details are not required unlike US Passport and Green Card holders.

List of Eligible Non-Immigration Visa’s to determine Player U.S. Residency

  • CW-1: CNMI-Only transitional worker
  • CW-2: Associated spousal/children visa
  • E-1: Treaty traders and qualified employees
  • E-13: Associated spousal/children visa
  • E-2: Long-term foreign investors in the CNMI
  • E-23: Associated spousal/children visa
  • E-2C: Long-term foreign investors in the CNMI
  • E-2C3: Associated spousal/children visa
  • E-3: Certain “specialty occupation” professionals from Australia
  • E-33: Associated spousal/children visa
  • H-1B: Workers in a specialty occupation
  • H-4: Associated spousal/children visa
  • H-1C2: Registered nurses working in a health professional shortage area as determined by the U.S. Department of Labor
  • H-4: Associated spousal/children visa
  • H-2A: Temporary or seasonal agricultural workers.
  • H-4: Associated spousal/children visa
  • H-2B: Temporary non-agricultural workers
  • H-4: Associated spousal/children visa
  • H-3: Trainees other than medical or academic. This classification also applies to practical training in the education of handicapped children.
    H-4: Associated spousal/children visa
  • I: Representatives of foreign press, radio, film or other foreign information media.
  • I-3: Associated spousal/children visa
  • L-1A: Intracompany transferees in managerial or executive positions.
  • L-23: Associated spousal/children visa
  • L-1B: Intracompany transferees in positions utilizing specialized knowledge.
  • L-23: Associated spousal/children visa
  • O-1: Persons with extraordinary ability in sciences, arts, education, business, or athletics and motion picture or TV production.
  • O-3: Associated spousal/children visa
  • O-2: Persons accompanying solely to assist an O-1 nonimmigrant
  • O-3: Associated spousal/children visa
  • P-1A: Internationally recognized athletes.
  • P-4: Associated spousal/children visa
  • P-1B: Internationally recognized entertainers or members of internationally recognized entertainment groups.
  • P-4: Associated spousal/children visa
  • P-2: Individual performer or part of a group entering to perform under a reciprocal exchange program.
  • P-4: Associated spousal/children visa
  • P-3: Artists or entertainers, either an individual or group, to perform, teach, or coach under a program that is culturally unique.
  • P-4: Associated spousal/children visa
  • Q-1: Persons participating in an international cultural exchange program for the purpose of providing practical training, employment, and to share the history, culture, and traditions of the alien’s home country.
  • R-1: Religious workers.
  • R-2: Associated spousal/children visa
  • TN: North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA) temporary professionals from Mexico and Canada.
  • F-1: Academic students
  • F-2: Associated spousal/children visa
  • J-2: Associated spousal/children visa
  • F-3: Canadian or Mexican national academic commuter students
  • M-1: Vocational students
  • M-2: Associated spousal/children visa
  • M-3: Canadian or Mexican national vocational commuter students
  • J-1: Exchange visitors All A and G Diplomatic Visas.
  • Follow USA Touch

    Subscribe to our mailing list to get updates on events

    Thank you for subscribing, and see you on the pitch!

    Something went wrong.